BackGround from last week
The Genesis 5 Genealogy — Foretells Rebellion, Rescue & Wrath
|Enoch||Mortal & Miserable|
|Mahalalel||The Blessed God|
|Jared||Shall Come Down|
|Methuselah||His Death Shall Bring|
|Noah||Relief, Rest, Comfort|
The process is 1) Man Rebels, 2) God prepares and announces His Wrath 3) God Rescues His people ; 4) God’s Wrath Falls
All This Means is:
Man’s sin appoints him to be mortal, miserable [and to live in] sorrow. The Blessed God shall come down teaching [God’s truth].His death shall bring the despairing rest and comfort!
Message Map: Genesis 6: 1-22
God’s flood negates The Nephilim
The Flood Negates The Nephilim
- Who are they? Where’d they come from? Where did they go? Might they return?
The Nephilim Never Quite Go Away
- We’ll look at their Biblical history from Genesis to how they might possibly resurface in Revelation.
God’s Response To Rebellion = Rescue & Wrath
- Noah’s Ark Represents How God Asks Us to Participate in Our Rescue by being obedient (Faith w/o works is dead/useless Jas 2:20 &26)
The Ark Is An Allegory for The Way God Work in Our Lives
- God saves us like He saved Noah.
- The process of obedience that Noah goes through is the process we are called to go through.
God’s Flood Negates the Nephilim
The Flood negates the Nephilim, who are produced from the “serpent seed” of Gen 3:15 from the unholy commingling between the disobedient angels (demons) and human women.
Gen 6:11 Now the earth was corrupt (destroyed by destroyers, ravaged and going to ruin) in God’s sight, and the earth was filled with violence (malicious, violent wrong-doing).
Gen 6:12 And God saw the earth, and behold, it was corrupt, for all flesh had corrupted (been genealogically compromised) their way (and ruined their manner of existence) on the earth.
So the fact that The Flood destroys all flesh/people indicates which of the following:
- Satan’s deception and corruption has dire consequences for us
- We are responsible for allowing Satanic evil to infiltrate our lives
- We each have a duty to discern and resist what Satan is doing (Jas 4:7, Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
- It doesn’t matter because the Ark story is just a fable.
Sons of God + daughters of men = THE Godless, No-Good Nephilim
Gen 6: 1-2 & 4 – 1When man (common mortal men) began to multiply on the face of the land and daughters (maidens) were born to them, 2the sons of God (angelic beings directly created by God) saw that the daughters of men were attractive/beautiful. And they took (bought, captured, procured) as their wives (women for childbearing) any they chose. 4The Nephilimb (one who fells others, as a bully or merciless tyrant) were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men (warriors of outstanding strength and abilities) who were of old (genetically forever or permanently transformed, and who could perpetuate their kind/breed), the men of renown (famous legends).
- Gen 6: 5-6 They corrupted the earth with violence and evil all the time.
Nephilim are distinct from the descendants of cain & Seth
We know the Nephiim were not descendants of Cain who matted with Sethite women because …
- Both Cain’s and Seth’s lines end at the Flood, so they both must have been tainted. (Disembodied spirits need hosts, so The Flood drowned all tainted & potential current human hosts.)
- Saying the Nephilim were descendants of Cain’s line who only found Sethite daughters attractive says, Cain’s descendants’ daughters were ugly, which is refuted by Deut 21:11, which says to the Israelites, “if you notice among the [Canaanite] captives a beautiful woman and are attracted to her, you may take her as your wife. (This applies to people like Rehab from Jericho.)
- Angels is ággelos which designates a heavenly, celestial being; whereas Cain’s and Seth’s descendants obviously were human, sons of Adam, whereas Adam was a son (direct creation) of God – as are the angels.
Angels made mischief to Mate with Maidens of men
Jude 6 – and 2 Cor 5:2 use the term oikéktérion which designates an authorized habitation, “of the body as the dwelling-place of the spirit.”
2 Cor 5: 1-2 1Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is dismantled we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. 2For in this tent (tabernacle, fig’ = the human body) we groan, longing to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling,
- Dismantled (kataluó) = broken up, overthrown, unharnessed or unyoked – like a horse from its carriage, and thus must find a lodging
- Tent (skénos) = tabernacle, figuratively = the human body in which the soul dwells as in a tent. Also, a hut or temporary residence as the abode of the spirit
Jude 6: And the angels who did not stay within their own position of authority, but left their proper dwelling, he has kept in eternal chains under gloomy darkness until the judgment of the great day—
Stay within their own position of authority = that state in which one is begotten of God in the beginning. (So they left their creative purpose.)
left/abandoned their proper dwelling = found a way to leave behind, abandoned
- They went outside authorized limits of the nature and character established for them by God, and they mated with women.
Israel annihilated The Nephilim
Get 6:4 4The Nephilimb were on the earth in those days, and also afterward. – which may indicate that after The Flood other fallen angels engaged in this practice and are included in the punishment mentioned in Jude 6.
The Nephilim and their descendants were like the mythological demigods who were half-demonic and half-human hybrids – like Hercules. Perhaps the mythology is based on Biblical reality.God used Moses, Joshua and The Israelites to purge the Promised Land and the world of the Nephilim-giants. - Israel’s Judges dealt with them, up through Samuel’s time. - David then was assigned the task of cleansing the land of the… Click To Tweet
- God used Moses, Joshua and The Israelites to purge the Promised Land and the world of the Nephilim-giants. – Israel’s Judges dealt with them, up through Samuel’s time. – David then was assigned the task of cleansing the land of the Satanic spawn, and David’s 30 or so, mighty men die a great job!
- These Scriptures Refer to the Giants who were mutated hybrid men of great stature, some with six figures and toes – an anomaly that provides evidence of Human Gene Pool Corruption that would have spread had not God motivated his people to eliminate them.
- KJV uses giants in Duet 2: 20, Duet 3: 11, Num 13:33, Joshua 12:4, Joshua 13:12, Joshua 17:5, Josh 15:8 & 18:16, 1 Chron 20:8, 2 Sam 21:18 & 1 Chron 20:4, 2 Sam 21:22, and perhaps – Rev 9:1
Israel annihilated Nephilim Giants throughout the Canaanite Conquest
- Duet 2: 20 KJV (That also was accounted a land of giants: giants dwelled therein in old time; and the Ammonites call them Zamzummims;
- Duet 3: 11 (KJV) For only Og king of Bashan remained of the remnant of giants; … his bedstead was of iron… nine cubits was the length, and four cubits the breadth of it, after the cubit of a man. (Not that of a giant’s cubit. So the bed was of iron to hold the great weight of Og who slept on a 9 x 18in bed (= 14.5 feet long and was 6 feet wide)
- Duet 3: 13 … and all Bashan, being the kingdom of Og …, which was called the land of giants. (ESV, NAS & NIV = Rephaim = giants)
- Num 13:33 … (ESV & NAS – And there we saw the Nephilim) KJV We saw giants there, the sons of Anak, [and we were as grasshoppers, compared to them].
- Joshua 12:4 … And the territory of Og king of Bashan, who was of the remnant of the giants, that dwelt at Ashtaroth and at Edrei…
- Joshua 13:12 … And the territory of Og king of Bashan, who was of the remnant of the giants, that dwelt at Ashtaroth and at Edrei…
- Joshua 17:5 … If you are a great people, then get up to the forest country, and clear ground for yourself there in the land of the Perizzites and of the giants…
- Josh 15:8 & 18:16 And the border came down to the end of the mountain that lies before the valley of the son of Hinnom, … in the valley of the giants
- 1 Chron 20:8 These Philistines were descendants of the giants of Gath, but David and his warriors killed them.
- 2 Sam 21:18 & 1 Chron 20:4 As they fought, Sibbecai from Hushah killed Saph, another descendant of the giants. Sibbecai the Hushathite killed Saph, who had been fathered by giants
- 2 Sam 21:22 These four Philistines were descendants of the giants of Gath, but David and his warriors killed them
God arrested the apostate angels who fathered the no good Nephilim
God arrested the apostate angels who spawned the Nephilim, and He is holding them in protective custody!
2 Peter 2:4 For if God did not spare the angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell, delivering them in chains to be held in gloomy darkness until their judgmentt;
Jude 6: And the angels who did not stay within their own position of authority, but left their proper dwelling, he has kept in eternal chains under gloomy darkness until the judgment of the great day—
And God will arrest Satan too!
Rev 20: 1 Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven with the key to the Abyss, holding in his hand a great chain.
Rev 20:2 He seized the dragon, the ancient serpent who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years.
Does revelation record the RETURN OF THE Demons who birthed the Nephilim?
In Rev 9:1 God lets demons out of the abyss (ab’-us-sos).
- They are described as mighty, man-like, supernatural warriors.
- Will they go back to their old tricks and mate with women and corrupt the earth with violence? Will God allow that?
Rev 9: 1- 11 1And the fifth angel blew his trumpet, and I saw a star fallen from heaven to earth, and he was given the key to the shaft of the bottomless pit.a 2He opened the shaft of the bottomless pit, and from the shaft rose smoke like the smoke of a great furnace, and the sun and the air were darkened with the smoke from the shaft. 3Then from the smoke came locusts on the earth, and they were given power like the power of scorpions of the earth. 4They were told not to harm the grass of the earth or any green plant or any tree, but only those people who do not have the seal of God on their foreheads. 5They were allowed to torment them for five months, but not to kill them, and their torment was like the torment of a scorpion when it stings someone. 6And in those days people will seek death and will not find it. They will long to die, but death will flee from them. 7In appearance the locusts were like horses prepared for battle: on their heads were what looked like crowns of gold; their faces were like human faces, 8their hair like women’s hair, and their teeth like lions’ teeth; 9they had breastplates like breastplates of iron, and the noise of their wings was like the noise of many chariots with horses rushing into battle. 10They have tails and stings like scorpions, and their power to hurt people for five months is in their tails. 11They have as king over them the angel of the bottomless pit. His name in Hebrew is Abaddon, and in Greek he is called Apollyon.b
Noah’s gene pool was not polluted
Gen 6: 9 – 10 9These are the generations of Noah. Noah was a righteous man, blameless (without defect) in his generation (genealogical registration). Noah walked with God.
10And Noah had three sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth” – who apparently also had pure human genes, as did their wives with which to restart the human race.
Which do we believe to be true of Noah? He was …
- a sinner
- was obedient in building the Ark
- had imputed righteousness (Gen 15:6, Abe believed and was accredited with righteousness)
- demonstrated faith in God
PROPHESY FORETOLD NOAH’S FAVOR
Gen 6:8 But Noah found favor (grace) in the eyes of the LORD.
This favor was prophesied (predestined) in Gen 5: 28-29. (Eph 1:5&11, Rom. 8:29, 1 Cor 2:7).
28When Lamech had lived 182 years, he fathered a son 29and called his name Noah, saying, “Out of the ground that the LORD has cursed, this one shall bring us reliefd from our work and from the painful toil of our hands.”
Would we say this is a reference to salvation by grace, through faith in God? Which is characterized by …
- Man responding to the obey the promptings of God/Holy Spirit
- Alleviation of working to earn our salvation.
- Repenting and avoiding future sin, which like getting on the Ark keeps one separate from that for which the impending judgement will strike down others.
NOAH LABORED UNDER GRACE
Under Favor and GRACE, like Noah we are EMPOWERED by God to fulfill tasks that seem humanly impossible.
Noah’s assignment was to build and ark which was Godly work that would bring salvation and a fresh start to humankind.
This work was to take place in a world that was characterized by how in Gen 6: 12 – we see…
- 12 – all flesh had corrupted their way on the earth.
- 13 God determined to make an end of all flesh,c for the earth is filled with violence through them. Behold, I will destroy them with the earth.
So the community in which Noah built the Ark was…
- d) highly supportive of his efforts
- e) extremely skeptical and mocked his work
- f) repentant – as the Ark was a sign of impending judgement
HOW LONG DID NOAH PERSERVE TO BUILD THE ARK?
Noah did obey, but …In Gen. 6: 3 when the LORD said, “My Spirit shall not abide ina man forever, for he is flesh: his days shall be 120 years,” … The 120 years indicates:
- the number of years until The Flood
- the shortening of men’s lives to 120 years
- the length of time it took for Noah to build the Ark (Gen 6:10 & Gen 11:10)
To Answer we must compare Gen 6:10 & Gen 11:10
- Gen 6:10 — And Noah had three sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth. In Gen 6:14, God tells Noah to build the ark.
- Gen 11:10 — When Shem was 100 years old, he fathered Arpachshad two years after the flood.
- Gen 11:10 means that Shem was 98 when he got on the Ark. Since he was the oldest of 3 boys, and the ark was not built until after all 3 were born, then at most the ark was built over a 95 year period- assuming each boy was born 1 year apart.
- BTW Noah’s grandfather, Haran lived to be 119, per Gen 11:25. But Noah’s father, Terah, lived to be 205, per Gen 11:32
THE ARK WAS ADVANCED NOTICE OF IMPENDNG JUDGEMENT
Our mission is to be used of God to obey as Noah did, because obedience provides the visible – Ark-like-evidence – of our salvation and our awareness that judgement certainly is pending.
2 Pet 2: 5 says “if he did not spare the ancient world, but preserved Noah, [who served as] a herald (proclaimer/ communicator) of righteousness, with seven others, when he brought a flood upon the world of the ungodly;
THE ARK= GOD ASKING US TO PARTICIPATE IN OUR OWN RESCUE BY BEING OBEDIENT
We must cooperate with God through obedience to realize our rescue. Faith w/o works is dead/useless Jas 2:20 &26) had Noah disobeyed, he’d be dead literally!
The Bible warns us that disobedience can result in irrecoverable loss. Rom 11:22 Take notice, therefore, of the kindness and severity of God: severity to those who fell, but kindness to you, if you continue in His kindness. Otherwise you also will be cut off.
Gen 6:14 – 16 – The ark was made of gopher (cypress) wood.d And was more like a floating chest with 3 floors and stalls on levels 1 & 2 for the animals, with living quarters on the top floor. 15This is how you are to make it: the length of the ark 300 cubits,e its breadth 50 cubits, and its height 30 cubits. 16Make a rooff for the ark, and finish it to a cubit above, and set the door of the ark in its side. Make it with lower, second, and third decks.
A cubit is estimated to be approximately 18 inches. So 300 cubits = 450 feet – but scholars vary by 70-90 feet, with an average of 510 – 515. For instance, Barnes reckons the cubit at 1.8 feet, and the length to be about 540, the breadth 90, and the height 54 feet.
So the Ark is about 1 1/2 football fields long, and about 25 feet wider than a football field. It probably was the equivalent of a 3 1/2 to 4 story high building.
It is a huge, flat-bottomed 3-floor barge without sail or engine.
THE ARK WAS DESIGNED TO DO THE JOB
The Ark had the same storage capacity of about 522 railroad cars, which would hold about 122,250 sheep. The average size animal is somewhere between the size of a sheep and a cat, depending upon whose information you rely upon. A few animals are larger than a sheep, but most are smaller.
Experts estimate there are approximately 18,000 species of animals, if you pair them, the ark only would be occupied with 36,000 animals of its 122,250 capacity.
If God only brings juveniles that are not full grown, the ark only would even have more capacity for food and supplies to last a year especially as much of which would be stored on top of each animals cage. Many experts believe God put the animals into hibernation, making caring for them even easier – as they eat less etc.…
A million insect species would require only 12 of the 340 trailers, maybe. This would leave room for five trains of 99 cars each for food, Noah’s family and ‘range’ for the animals. However, insects are not included in the meaning of behemah orremes in Genesis 6:19-20, so Noah probably would not have taken them on board as passengers anyway.
THE ARK WAS PITChED INSIDE AND OUT = ATONED BY THE INNER AN OUTER WORKING
The Ark was covered in pitch, both inside and out which is a metaphor for being covered in atonement that works the Born Again experience. The John 3:16 Born Again experience results from the inner working of Calvary’s blood covering the heart, mind and soul, which transforms our outer behavior.
- Websters 1828 Dictionary says Pitch is a thick tenacious substance that holds fast, to retain what is in possession.(John 10: 28-29, Christ says 28I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29My Father, who has given them to me,a is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. 30I and the Father are one.”
- Exodus 2:3 Moses was saved in an ark basket covered in pitch.
- Wesley says, pitch also absorbed the animal smells inside the ark. This is symbolic of The Holy Spirit working to make our thoughts and sentiments to be pleasing to God by conforming to the fragrance of the Fruit of the Spirit.
THE ARK REPRESENT ONE- WAY OF SALVATION
There only was one Door on the Ark, which = one way of Salvation, John 14:6 “Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
Like Noah, we are atoned for, but must build and get into an ark and remain there for a very long time, 377 days and 376 dark nights in Noah’s case.
The ark is not human powered and thus is at the mercy of God in the midst of the storm
The rescue began before judgement fell – as the Genealogy of Genesis 5 reveals, as Enoch is raptured, and the series culminates with Methuselah whose death will signal judgement shall come, and God lengthens his days, patiently waiting for the world to repent – not being willing for any to perish.
NOAH REPRESENTS THE PERSEVERANCE OF THE SAIINTS
Like Noah, we are atoned for, but we must obey and build and get into an ark and remain there for a very long time, 377 days and 376 dark nights in Noah’s case.
The ark was not human powered and thus is at the mercy of God in the midst of the storm. Like Abraham, Noah did not know where he would end up. He just trusted that in God’s hands, he will end up where God wants him.
- Ark = A Non-Human Powered, Super Sturdy & Sufficient Vehicle in which God Fulfills Our Rescue
- Stuffy, stinky, long-enduring, but actually is far better than being out in the storm.
THE ARK OPERATED BY GOD ACTING ON NOAH’S BEHALF
Like Noah, whose mission was to labor on the earth, and persevere through the impending judgment of the Flood, we too are called as perhaps “Last Days Christians” to faithfully obey and be used of God.
Our obedience give us favor with God through whom He can communicate to Rebellious
By doing so, the souls God uses us to reach may be ours and our closet loved ones.
To view the recorded message, go to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4byrebZiVc