CHRIST’S KINGDOM IS A CONTRAST TO THE CULTURE
This Chapter Christ expresses several Contrasts of Christ’s/Kingdom Culture with the Common Culture. Throughout the chapter we see the disciples were surprised and astonished to hear Christ express these differences. Today In Mark 10: 1 -27 we’ll look at 3 contrasts:
- Divorce Separates Those Experiencing Relational Trauma, but Divides what God has Joined-Mk 10: 2-12
- The Kingdom Mature & Competent are like Children Mk 10: 13-16
- Inheriting Salvation Requires Receiving Christ & Repenting & Giving your Life Away -Mk 10: 17-27
- Relationship with Christ Is More Important Than Riches
- Relationship with Christ Requires Humility Not Self-Justifying Self-Righteousness
Mark 10: 1a ESV 1And he left there and went to the region of Judea (Judea, a Roman province, the capital of which is Jerusalem, where Herod resides with his wife Herodias.) and beyond the Jordan, and crowds gathered to him again.
Coasts (the word “coasts” means regions or parts. of Judea beyond Jordan -The narrative here refers to the last journey of the Savior from Galilee to Jerusalem, to attend the last Passover which he celebrated famously with the disciples
CROWDS CRAVE THE TRUTH OF GOD’S WORD
Mark 10: 1b ESV 1b… and crowds gathered to him again, and again, as was his custom, he taught them.
Jesus’s custom was to teach the crowds because:
- He had compassion on them
- They were hungry for God’s truth
- God wants people to know His truth
- He had to correct the false doctrine the Politically Correct Religious leaders had and were teaching.
PHARISEES BET JESUS WILL LOOSE AGAINST THE LAW
Mark 10: 2 ESV 2 And Pharisees came up and in order to test him (entrap, get Christ to express an opinion that should involve him in difficulty.) asked, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife?”
Pharisees try to trap Jesus between the law & a hard place. Pharisees try to get Jesus to loose against the law that He, as God, wrote. The Pharisees actually bet against Jesus, who is God, to loose against the law He authored!
The Divorce question was a trap to either:
- Accuse Jesus of being lax about the Mosaic LAW(lax = slack, slipshod, negligent, remiss, careless, heedless, unmindful, lenient, permissive, liberal, sloppy) or
- Pit Christ against the 2 schools of rabbinical tradition on the subject at that time, where one said you could get divorced if your wife burned a meal, and the other had stricter rules for when you could get issued a divorce decree.
- Get grounds to go to HEROD and squeal that Jesus is accusing him as John the Baptist did.
PHARISEES FRONT FOR HEROD’S POSITION ON DIVORCE
Mark 10: 2 ESV The reason(s) the Pharisees “tested” Jesus about divorce was because:
- The Pharisees were hungry for God’s truth on the issue.
- The Pharisees wanted people to know God’s truth on the issue.
- The Pharisees had incorrect doctrine on divorce and mistakenly thought they easily could entrap Christ on it.
- In Mk 6: 17-29, Herod killed John The Baptist over that issue, and perhaps Herod would kill Jesus over it too!
(The Pharisees chose to test Jesus on divorce because they knew John the Baptist had been killed over this issue, and they sought to trap Jesus in it too.)
CREATING A SOCIAL CRISIS OF SIN TO CONTROL THE COUNTRY
Let’s review the process for how evil people with political and ecclesiastical power control a nation:
- The evil person/people in power wants/want to live in sin.
- The evil person/people in power fear the people won’t support them if they believe the evil person/people in power actually are living in blatant sin. (Sort of like a politician making a speech on poverty, equality and ecological conservation while wearing extravagantly expensive clothing, standing in front of a line of gas guzzling, SUV’s and limos, behind which is a completely decked out and tricked out 747 that uses even fuel because of all the toys on board.)
- The evil person/people in power must suppress true knowledge of the Bible, so people cannot tell what sin really is anyway.
- The evil person/people in power must get his/her politically appointed and correct Religious leaders to make a pronouncement that what the evil people in power are doing is not sin.
- The evil person/people in power create and promote a social justice crisis that a select minority is being denied a particular “right”, which often is the right to sin, and a targeted group is blamed as responsible for the denied so-called right.
- The evil person/people in power says immediate action is required -even sin -if necessary, to right the wrong and alleviate the make believe situation. (So the government justifies violating God’s law & the US Constitution by lying, slandering, stealing/confiscating and murdering the majority groups to supposedly bring justice to the targeted minority.
DIVORCE DIVIDES WHAT GOD HAS JOINED
In Mark 10: 14 -29
Divorce: what God has joined despite the human hardness of heart for which Moses granted divorce certificates.
Divorce is not the unpardonable sin. 3 Biblical reasons for divorce are
- ADULTERY-for which both men and women were stoned under the Mosaic Law. Note Mark 10; 10-12 Jesus says both men and women initiated divorce. (In John 4: 7 -42 The Samaritan woman who had 5 husbands becomes her town’s evangelist.)
- ABANDONMENT-1 Cor 7:15 Yet if the unbelieving one leaves, let him leave; the brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases, but God has called us to peace.
- ANNULMENTSof marriages dissolved prior to coming to Christ, which many scholars believes 1 Cor 7: 27-28 provides.
(Determine if 1 Cor 7: 12-28 is your personal conviction or provides you with some moral absolute(s).)
CHILDREN ARE BLESSED -NOT BAPTIZED
Mark 10: 13-16ESV 13And they were bringing children to him that he might touch them, and the disciples rebuked them. 14But when Jesus saw it, he was indignant and said to them, “Let the children come to me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God. 15Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.” 16And he took them in his arms and blessed (not baptized) them, laying his hands on them.
Christ never advocated baptizing children!
Christians, however, do follow the Biblical tradition of dedicating their children to the Lord, as Hannah did with Samuel in 1 Sam. 1: 21-28 and Chapter 2
IN CHRIST’S KINGDOM THE COMPETENT ARE LIKE CHILDREN
In Mark 10: 13 -16The kingdom Competent Are Children
The Kingdom Mature are like Children, because children -generally speaking…
- Are carefree, and take no thought for tomorrow (Matt. 6:34)
- Accept their status in a matter-of-fact way and must be taught to be self-conscious (or shamed into it) and being concerned about what others think.
- Readily believe in and accept God and miracles
- Unabashedly are dependent upon their parents
SINNERS ARE SAVED BY GRACE – NOT SELF-RIGHTEOUS LAW KEEPERS
In Mark 10: 17 -22
A) Inheriting Salvation Requires Receiving Christ & Repenting & Giving your Life Away -Mk 10: 17-2
- To inherit = kleronomeo> strictly means “to receive by lot” what is yours “to possess”; to receive as one’s own.” The rich young ruler is saying, “I did these things by keeping the law, and I know I deserve what I have earned.”
- Yet the young man must be sensing that something is not quite right with that picture because he asks Jesus how do I get Eternal Life in Heaven?
- He is sensing that his self-sufficiency is only taking him so far.
MONEY = MARVELOUS MACHINE OR MERCILESS MASTER
ONLY A RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD PROVIDES US WITH THE SOUL SATISFACTION WE CRAVE
Money can buy …
- a house but not a HOME.
- a clock but not TIME.
- a bed but not SLEEP.
- a book but not KNOWLEDGE / WISDOM.
- medical care but not HEALTH.
- a position but not BLESSING.
- blood but not LIFE.
- food but not FULFILLMENT.
- insurance, but not SAFETY.
- power but not RESPECT.
- friends but not FAMILY.
- sex but not LOVE.
- entertainment, but not JOY.
- a bath but not PURITY.
- bodyguards but not SECURITY
- war but not PEACE
STRENGTH OF RELATIONSHIP EQUATES TO INTENSITY OF CHANGE
In Mark 10: 17 -22 Jesus wants the young man to have a relationship with God, through Christ our Lord.
B) Salvation Is about a Relationship with Christ:
- Jesus loves the young man, and gives him a seemingly impossible task to step into a deep and exclusive discipleship call, and go and sell all he has -not to one up him, but to get him to see that he’s a sinner, incapable of doing what God calls him to do. Jesus is getting the man to see he is a sinner in need of grace.
- “Come follow me” is a call to relationship-as Relationship Is More Important Than Riches
- Strength of relationship equates to intensity of change.
- Strength of relationship with God equates to intensity of change through the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives.
JESUS PREACHES THE GOSPEL OF GRACE
Mark 10:26 The disciples were exceedingly astonished, and said to him, “Then who can be saved?” because they felt
- “You mean to say no rich people are going to Heaven?”
- “Everyone knows rich people are rich because they are blessed of God!”
- “The rich young man seemed like a righteous guy who easily should get into Heaven.”
- “What do you mean we are not saved by keeping the law?”
ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE WITH GOD
Mark 10:27Jesus looked at them and said, “With man it is impossible, but not with God. For all things are possible with God.”
All things are “dunatos” with God, meaning God is “strong, mighty, powerful and able to bring about His plan for our lives.
God is well able to move man’s heart and save anybody, anywhere, anytime!
To view the recorded service on YouTube, go to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH3FmMup72k